Some good software
Keep away from anything which will not handle .gpx files (public domain track files)
- Tracklogs mapping. Also Anquet and MemoryMap. They all sell digital maps on which you can display and edit your tracks or create new ones while at home.
- GPS TrackMaker - freeware for handling tracks and waypoints. Lots of extras. Can convert files from old Garmin models to GPX format.
- Gartrip - €30 for handling tracks and waypoints. Without the razzmatazz of Trackmaker. Only the useful stuff, but does it superbly well and has helpful error-trapping routines. Free crippled version downloadable. Can convert files from old Garmin models to GPX format.
- GPSvisualizer for plotting your .gpx track on a satellite map. You can then zoom in to see the footpaths you have walked upon!
- GPSvisualizer for processing a GPX file to either insert missing altitude values or to replace the existing ones with more accurate data.
- GPSvisualizer for plotting altitude vs. distance from your tracks.
- RouteConverter a totally brilliant piece of freeware for seeing your .gpx track on a satellite image and being able to tweak it or re-route it after you get back home! Download it to your computer.
- EveryTrail is very similar. Runs on Internet. Option to store/share files. You must upload your files but you can then make them private if you wish.
A useful list of software